Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Games and Gaming #38: Console Gaming

I visited the "nostalgic" game site and spent a few minutes playing Pacman. I think it's harder to play using the keyboard than it was when I played it on the console game. It could be that reactions have just gotten slower! I'm not sure I've gained any better skills by playing years ago except for the fact that I'm familiar with the game.

I'm pretty familiar with Wii and Sony Playstation 3. The graphics on the Sony Playstation are excellent, but there are not as many games to play on it. Also the games tend to be for the more mature audience. My family plays the Wii all the time. We have several games and they are all fun and challenging. In my opinion, I think the best console game system would be the Wii because there is more of a variety of games. Also the virtual movement concept sets it apart from the other consoles. As long as people don't sit and play video games all the time, I can't really see that console gaming detracts from learning. If anything, I think it probably increases the hand/eye coordination. There's no doubt in my mind that kids would initially come to the library for the gaming. Having said that, I do feel that there would be those kids who discover the other things to do at the library and return for those things as well. It certainly would be up to the library staff to help the kids in this discovery process.

No comments: